Here are some tips & ideas for interviews:
- Let them know how passionate you are about counseling.
- Tell them that one of your weaknesses might be planning a comprehensive program, but that you are up to the challenge with the help of another school counseling colleague (networking & consultation).
- Focus on how you are a team player
Share some experiences you had in your internship that helped you grow as a person and as a counselor.
Explain how you would help with a positive school climate:
- Being Visible
- Recognizing everyone for good work (teachers, cafeteria staff, admin, custodians, etc.)
- Creating a safe space for students (explain how you would do it).
- Programs for parents
- Family movie night
- Dad & Daughter lunch
Ask the interviewers:
- Will I be doing classroom, individual, & small groups?
- Will I have the freedom to run my own program and be supported?
- What duties will I expect to have (bus duty, etc.)